St. Joseph School
A community growing in faith, knowledge, and service
While the corner stone for the church was not laid until 1875, St. Joseph Parish erected its first school in 1870 on the southeast corner of St. Patrick and Erie Streets. (This property marks the northwest corner of the “original plat of Racine” as established by Gilbert Knapp, the founder of Racine.) In 1877, the Racine Dominicans took charge of the school, relieving secular teachers. The school continued to expand, adding an auditorium and updating kerosene lamps to ‘modern’ gas lighting. Prior to 1906, the students “just left school” after completing the seventh grade. During the 1905-1906 school year, the eighth grade was added with its first graduating class of six girls and one boy in 1906. The current school was built in 1929 with various renovations from 1969-1974: classrooms, the gymnasium, school halls, and the kitchen. In 1987, for the first time in St Joseph’s 120-year history, tuition was charged.
Over the years, many updates have occurred at St. Joe’s including a steeple renovation and the backyard was relandscaped as Siena Gardens in honor of the Racine Dominicans who served the school and parish from 1877-1990. The school continues to provide an enriching Catholic education and community.
1525 Erie Street
Racine, WI 53402
4K – 8th
7:45am – 2:55pm
Art, Music, Physical Education, Spanish
Blue and Gold